Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Big Thursday!






Things are a bit hectic here in San Antonio! I'm in the midst of packing for the conference and getting all of my demonstration materials in order. I'll be off tomorrow for a new adventure at the very tip of the US on the cape...at least, to a Texan it looks like the very tip of the world. I also have a major solo show opening at Southwest School of Art on Thursday, as well. SSA schedules their openings of all three galleries on the same day, and unfortunately, I'll have to miss the opening tomorrow. My show, Uncommon Elements, is at the Ursuline campus. I have an artist's talk and demonstration on June 18 at 2:00. The show runs June 2, 2011-August 15, 2011. If you are in the area, stop by to see this new body of work.


The above piece, Balloons and Butterflies 20"X 30", is one of the larger works in the series. All of this series is on dimensional and embossed handmade paper supports and incorporates the uncommon elements of roofing tar, resin, beeswax, torch and oil. The show came out of a challenge by Patricia Seggebruch to explore new materials on my paper supports. I used the Luminaria grant in 2010 to begin the work and finished the series for this show. As soon as I get back from the conference, I will get the images on the website.


I am going to try to blog from the conference this year, my first foray into "on the spot reporting". I'll see how the technical aspects of taking photos and uploading them will work. So...until tomorrow....








No comments:

Post a Comment