Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Workshops, Shows and Contracts

This has been a busy couple of weeks. My heavy workshop schedule is beginning with filled classes. I'll be at the Southwest School of Art this weekend for an Introduction to Encaustic class. I love these beginning classes because at the end, the encaustic community will have twelve new practictioners!





My first Pulp to Painting Workshop of the season will be near Dallas in Richardson at the Encaustic Center. The workshop is almost full, so if you were planning to attend, now is the time to register. I am really looking forward to getting to know some of the members in our sister chapter of IEA. The above work is from a new series Conversations in Paper and Wax that will be shown April 15-May 28 at the Encaustic Center. The opening will be a part of the workshop.



I wrote a few blogs ago about Corina, a Northeast artist, who began raising funds to attend the Dallas workshop. I got the news today that she has raised enough funds to attend the workshop and will be winding her way to Dallas this April. Congratulations, Corina! I look forward to meeting you. I am donating a piece of art from Grandma's Sewing Box for a lucky contributor.



The North Light contract has been signed and will be on its way back to Ohio today. Reading it is an education in itself. Looking at the imposing list of deadlines--front and center of the first page--makes the whole experience very real! I've learned about advances and percentages and artist/publisher responsibilities all in leagal-eze that is surprisingly readable. North Light works primarily with artists and takes that into acount. I am looking forward to the experience...that my editor assures me "is fun!" My intention is to share this experience through the blog so that others can get a feel for the process.

2 comments:

  1. I hope your classes go well, Michelle! I would love to take a class, but I don't have enough time for my own art as it is. Sometimes we have to walk away from the siren call of a new technique and keep to our path. I'll be interested to hear how your book experience goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michelle! I can't wait to meet you in person and take your workshop... counting the days!!!

    See you soon,
    Corina.-

    http://www.corinadotdash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete